Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Heritage Orchard, Saratoga CA.

'The Old Apricot Tree'
14 x 11
Oil on Board
SOLD





'Heritage Orchard'
11 x 14
Oil on Board

I have never been drawn to paint orchards, so was a little reluctant to try my hand at it. I was out of my professional plein air boards so brought some inexpensive canvas panels I've had lying around my studio. Not feeling any pressure from my 'inferior' panel, I blithely jumped into painting an old gnarled tree with a moody sky. Before I knew it, I was lost in my painting and having a great time painting an orchard.

When I finished the first, I decided to take on a broader orchard view, and hence came painting number 2, 'Heritage Orchard'.  One of the things I love about plein air painting, is how connected I become to a subject once I've painted it. I suppose it can be likened to sharing a wonderful picnic with someone in a beautiful spot, making that spot forever special.

No comments:

Painting in Big Sur

'Big Sur' Oil on Linen Panel 9 x 12 SOLD